Forms & Fees

Development enhances our community by bringing jobs, people, facilities, improved lifestyle and greater community security.

All development proposals in Nakusp begin with an application. Whether you are interested in adding on to your home, building a workshop, changing zoning or redeveloping a commercial property, please review forms below to get started. Please note that the fee must be received with the form in order for the Village to review it.

Application Forms and Fees

If your land is situated in a Development Permit Area, you need a development permit prior to commencing development. Complete an Application for a Development Permit form. Application fees will be calculated on the bases of estimated project development costs in accordance with the following table.
Project Development CostsDevelopment Permit Fees
< $100,000$150.00
$100,001 – $500,000$500.00
$500,001 – $1,000,000$1000.00
$1,000,001 +$1650.00
If you as property owner or an authorized applicant are seeking a variance from specific requirements of the Zoning Bylaw, the Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw, or other bylaw application, complete a Development Variance Permit (DVP) form, and the fee is $ 150.
If your proposed development does not conform to the land use designation in the Official Community Plan, you can submit an application to change the land use designation of the property. Some rezoning applications may require an OCP amendment which can generally be processed in conjunction with a rezoning application bylaw. Complete an Application for OCP Amendment form, and the fee is $500.
If you are applying to appeal, complete a Notice of Appeal – Board of Variance form, and the fee is $100.
Please be aware that the Community Charter specifies what qualifies for a Board of Variance application. Approval of these applications are extremely rare because the applicant has to prove the hardship. “I can’t afford it” is not a valid reason. Please see the Local Government Act below regarding the application for variance or exemption to relieve hardship.
If you wish to alter the legal property boundaries of a parcel of land, divide it into smaller parcels, consolidate several parcels into one, create a bare land stratum, or change the alignment of an existing property line, complete a Subdivision Application, and the fee schedule is below. You must complete all required work and services in accordance with Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw.
Application for Subdivision – Bylaw 693Application Fees
Applications for Subdivision under Land Titles Act$300.00 for the first parcel
$50.00 for each additional parcel
Applications for Subdivisions under Condominium Act$300.00 for the first bare land strata lot
$50.00 for each additional bare land strata lot
An Owner, prior to making application for Final Subdivision Approval, shall submit with the application the following fees:

1) Charges for inspection of works in the amount equal to three percent (3%) of the Design Engineer’s cost estimate for constructing utilities and roads required for the new subdivision, or a minimum of $500.00 whichever is greater. The Goods and Services Tax (5%) shall be additional to the $500.00 minimum charge. The Design Engineer’s estimate shall also include the GST (5%).
2) The cost of connecting the work to the Village’s drainage, sewage and water collection system.
If you are looking for the Village of Nakusp Building Development Permits, you can find it here.
Download the Nakusp Business License Application

Local Government Act – Application for variance or exemption to relieve hardship

A person may apply to a board of variance for an order under section 542 [board powers on application] if the person alleges that compliance with any of the following would cause the person hardship:

(a) a bylaw respecting
  • (i) the siting, size or dimensions of a building or other structure, or
  • (ii) the siting of a manufactured home in a manufactured home park;
(b) a subdivision servicing requirement under section 506 (1) (c) [provision of water, sewer and other systems] in an area zoned for agricultural or industrial use;
(c) the prohibition of a structural alteration or addition under section 531 (1) [restrictions on alteration or addition while non-conforming use continued]; 
(d) a bylaw under section 8 (3) (c) [fundamental powers — trees] of the Community Charter, other than a bylaw that has an effect referred to in section 50 (2) [restrictions on authority — preventing all uses] of that Act if the council has taken action under subsection (3) of that section to compensate or mitigate the hardship that is caused to the person.

Interested in more information?

Reach out to our main office and we will respond to you shortly.